Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Midwestern Icon: The Lombardy Poplar


Changes Coming, 24 x 24, acrylic on deep cradle panel

I've been photographing, drawing and painting these stately trees for some time now. I finally had to look them up as I couldn't remember the name of these familiar windbreaks of the Midwest. I love their shapes and the way they bear the scars of storms past, while retaining a solemn dignity.

Detail of Changes Coming showing the Lombardy Poplars...

Poplars in Italy... Someone at the gallery asked if I was painting a Tuscan landscape. Apparently only those who have traveled through the Midwest know how many of these were planted in the 1940's and 50's to slow the howling winds.

Russian Poplars depicted in the 19th century...

An early textbook illustration...

These wonderful trees just beg to be painted - so much personality, great lines, and the ability to bend and yet endure. Would that I could be more like a Lombardy Poplar.

8 comments:

Mrs Mac said...

Ooo I love this. I think, if I were painting these trees, I would find it much more difficult than, say, a big sprawling, twisting oak. I would find it harder to 'bring them out', know what I mean? Sometimes it is harder to paint less. But you have it spot on!

Ahh look at Dinah's toes there... I posted a close up of Fluffy's recently. Have a look ifyou have time. It was the post before the current one. LOL! Lovely warm cheesey cat toes!

Tina said...

Happy happy joy joy, I love all these paintings for what each bring to the table. Nice job on yours, I love trees of three.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had this blog. I'll keep up now :-) I love seeing the pictures you are painting. I've mostly seen your murals and furniture over the years and I'm blown away seeing the paintings you do from your heart. Let's do lunch and catch up :-)

Shayla said...

They say that when we admire a quality, we already have it to a degree ;) This is a wonderful piece and a great title.

Patrice said...

Thank you Helena and Tina!

And Linda - lunch was geat - especially the hot fudge sundae!

Shayla, what a lovely and sweet comment... I really appreciate what you said.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a lovely look at the majestic poplars. They are also popular in country areas, usually along creeks and rivers, in my homeland of Australia.

Ray

Unknown said...

Jim, with his wife Genevieve Lecrivain, resides in both Scotland and France, but has visited BC to work on the BC iceman...Trees-Plants Nursery

Patrice said...

I'd love to visit your homeland someday - thank you for stopping by.