Friday, February 07, 2014

The Butterfly Effect...

 People often ask me where I get my ideas. When I make something, I'm not thinking of any one thing, but rather a myriad of possibilities and meanings.  Of course the work should be attractive.  I mean that quite literally; it should attract the viewer, drawing them in for a closer look.  Varying textures, colors and style of painting contribute to making an interesting and attractive work.

But for me, the work must have meaning on another level.  Often my paintings and assemblages are based upon my interpretations of natural phenomena; science and the weather.  I prefer to think of them as "atmospheric".  I often add quotations to the titles, or inscribe the backs with poems (sometimes my own) and quotations that are clues to what I was thinking.  Sometimes I let the mystery be.  I'm fine with having the viewer interpret a piece any way they wish.

Here a few shots of a commission in progress.  The client wanted a cheerful transition from her kitchen to her study; something that would make her smile.  The guest powder room is off this hall as well, so she wanted something pretty and noticeable. I've based the overall design on the theory of the Butterfly Effect and how it relates to spirals, whirlwinds, chaos and fractals.  Thus, I have had a bit of fun making a swirly faux finish and overdressing it with vining spirals that end in colorful leaves and tendrils.  The client loves birds and butterflies, and several more will be added to symbolize nature at its most ingenious. 
Small decorated hallway.  Can you see the nest?
Some iridescence on vines and leaves...


Singing...

2 comments:

Roy said...

A very interesting hallway! And it certainly is cheerful. The bird's nest is a great touch. Good work!

julie cavender said...

I love it!! It's nice to see what you're working on!