Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tough day... with bright spots!

I'd been dreading today (Wednesday, the 25th). I had to be up and coiffed and on the road by 7:30 for an hour-long drive in the rain and fog up into the mountains. Suffice it to say that other than my hair going flat, the appointment went okay - and I even got treated to a waffle for breakfast.

Normally, this would be my demo-day at the Heritage Center, but I thought I'd be tied up all day so I hadn't bothered to pack my art supplies. On the drive home, I stopped at the Center to drop off another of Carol's prints to replace the one she sold. When I walked into our exhibit area I noticed an empty spot. I sold another painting! Hooray! I took it as a sign to finally become one of the resident artists. It means working the gallery one weekend in addition to the Wednesdays, but it looks as if it will be worthwhile.


The sold painting: Calico Pie.

Silly - but I'll miss her.









Becoming a resident artist is part of my concerted effort to be better known in my immediate locale, something I hardly thought of when there was plenty of mural and cabinet work. Now that I want to make more of my living from paintings, I've found that success in one medium does not necessarily translate into clientele in another.

Another bright note: Yesterday I received an email from Dean of Deano's Den Gallery. Dean is a wonderful passionate painter himself who is passing on (what else?) the Passionate Painter's Award, originated by Kim Ratigan. Yes, I am passionate about painting! (forgive the incessant onomatopoeia...) Now it is my task to pass it on to seven painters who inspire me.

I know there are those who disdain "blogging awards," and I suppose it is possible for some to get carried away with the giving and receiving of same. But I regard an award from a fellow artist/blogger as the nicest sort of complement. It's an honor to be thought of in such regard and I would never take it lightly. That's why I was doubly honored to be chosen for the same award by another painter whose work I also admire: Irit Bourla. Her recent series on gallery goers puts a smile on my face at each visit. Colorful, expressive, and passionate... Irit would be my pick as well, for A Passion for Painting.

In addition to choosing painters who inspire me, I'm to list seven things I love. Now that is easy as there are infinite things I love. Choosing only seven painters is not so easy and I will take a couple of days to pass on the awards. Thank you!! to Dean and Irit for making me feel special.

Seven of the myriad things loved by me...

Morning coffee, best with a cinnamon roll...

My cat Snoochie's pigeon-toed walk, seen from behind... always gives me a giggle...

That amazing blue of damsel flies...

Standing in place while a dust devil or whirlwind passes over me...

The incredible audio recordings of the Harry Potter books by the genius of Jim Dale...

Puttering about in a hardware store...

People who smile with their eyes...

6 comments:

Holly Zemak said...

Hi Patrice, Thanks for stopping by my blog. How wonderful that you sold a painting, I have a soft spot for Calico's, we have had two. Both were sweet hearts. And as for your comment - I will be posting more often.

Unknown said...

Congratulations. So well deserved. I love the beautiful and touching memorial to Calico Pie....

Ann Buckner said...

Congratulations on another sold painting and the award from Dean. Enjoyed your list, brought a smile envisioning Smoochie's pigeon-toed walk.

Patricia said...

Congratulations on both - the sale and the award. That cat looks a bit like one of mine. I love interiors. You don't see them so often. I love cats, too. I'm sure the new owner is going to enjoy that painting.

L.Holm said...

Congratulations on selling your painting and on your award from the wonderful Deano! I would miss this painting, too. It's wonderful and whimsical. That cutie sitting on the table! Love it!

Anonymous said...

This post made me remember a dream I had of Molly, my childhood calico and the mother of so many kittens over the years. She hasn't crossed my mind in years, then to dream of her last night and have your beautiful painting jog my memory... wow.

We always had several cats growing up, and I remember Molly nursing four kittens and a grown gentle cat named Bud at the same time. Bud was right in there with those little kittens! What a site.